Top 8 Ways to Speed Up Your Computer
1. Free up disk space
Use Disk Cleanup to :
- Remove temporary Internet files.
- Delete downloaded program files, such as Microsoft ActiveX controls and Java applets.
- Empty the Recycle Bin.
- Remove Windows temporary files, such as error reports.
- Delete optional Windows components that you don't use.
- Uninstall Unused Programs.
- Remove unused restore points and shadow copies from System Restore.
2. Clean Your Desktop
3. Scan Your Windows System for Errors
4. Scan for Viruses, Spyware and Adware
5. Adjust Visual Effects for Better Performance
6. Don’t Automatically Start Programs
7. Reinstall the Operating System and Programs
8. Defragment Your Hard Drive [Important Note: Before you even try this, backup all your work onto a different computer, hard drive, CD or disk. Also, you should only do this if you have a reliable source of power for your computer. If a computer turns off while it is defragmenting a drive, it will create more problems than not defragmenting it in the first place.]